Sunday, September 8, 2013

Do better.

I learned a new word a few weeks ago: kaizen. From the Oxford English Dictionary Online, kaizen is defined as:
A Japanese business philosophy of continuous improvement in working practices, personal efficiency, etc.; hence, an improvement in performance or productivity.
Business aside, the idea of "continuous improvement" really resonates with me, particularly in response to my last post of living in the present. You see, I always want to be a better person, in nearly every way. Yet, at the same time, I feel like I do the best I can and that should be enough. But if I'm always looking to improve, it seems as though my best is most certainly not good enough. 

Finding that sweet spot in between just being and being better can be a little tricky.  I imagine that sweet spot to be santosha, or contentment, the second of the niyamas (one of Patanjali's Eight Limbs of Yoga).

For the most part, I consider myself to be a pretty content person. I also consider myself to be patient, kind, generous and compassionate. Still, I can reflect back on times when I could have been more patient, shown more kindness, been more generous, or perhaps acted with more compassion. Continuous improvement reminders, all of them.

So, do I want to be better or do I want to be content? Are the two mutually exclusive? 

Whether it be personally or professionally, I have this persistent drive to be better. A thorough psychological evaluation might reveal that my constant desire for improvement is somehow linked to self-esteem issues, feelings of inferiority, fear of failure, who knows? What I have come to understand, about myself, is that I am most content when I know that I have put forth sincere efforts and moved forward with the best intentions.  The end result, whether it be success of failure, generally doesn't matter. I'm all for "try, try again."  I just know that this is part of my character. Kaizen is part of my character. Santosha comes when I accept all parts of my character to be parts of my true self.  

Namaste, my friends :)

3 comments:

Angel Surdin said...

Oh, thanks Peg! I love you!

Amy said...

1) I agree with Peg.

2) I've also heard: Be bigger. Which means "Don't sweat the small stuff."

3) I sweat the small stuff, daily.

Which is why I'm glad I read this, and know you. Keep trying. It's about progress, not perfection. (I got that from a therapist, once. I have zero original ideas.)

Unknown said...

Exactly dear author you are right in explaining the word "kaizen", I want to tell you further that this is not only a word even it is the way to make different strategies that make you able through which you can save your wastages and tends it into success, dear author I really appreciate your thinking and your effort as well, moreover I'd love to make you know about the outstanding feature that you may get through Online kaizen training, and I also want to suggest you to make a blog like this too in order to make the people know more about this kaizen system! Thanks !