Friday, June 21, 2013

Eh, what good is money anyway?

I was supposed to teach a six-week class this summer but the course got canceled.  Initially I was pretty upset.  It wasn't a lot of money, but it was an income.  I couldn't really find another job for just six weeks (I had already committed to my training program at that point), so I accepted the fact that I would not be teaching and embraced the notion of having extra time this summer.

In the past 26 years, I have held at least 25 different jobs ranging from working for a professional show dog handler (where I acquired my love for Shih Tzus) to holding an Associate Dean position (where I acquired my distrust for for-profit education institutions). I had a 15(ish)-year stint as a nanny (such an amazing family) and teaching has been extremely rewarding.  I've also had some fun jobs working at an interior design studio, a real estate company, and a medical library.

There have been some less-than-desirable jobs, such as fry-cooking at McDonald's, commercial cleaning, and yes, that professional show dog gig.  Simply making a living can get in the way of what what we'd like to do or where we'd like to be.  Besides, more often than not, there is no short distance between reality and dreams.

I decided that I wanted to be a yoga instructor because I love yoga.  Yoga brings me joy and I'd like to have the opportunity to share that joy with others.  I essentially depleted what little savings I had to pay for my training.  While some may think that's a huge gamble, I don't see it that way.  As long as the intentions are honest and genuine, anything one can do to invest in one's happiness is worth the sacrifice.  

This particular Friday morning, however, I found my convictions to be less-than comforting.  I was really wishing I'd had a paycheck to deposit into my account.  Sometimes it's tough.  But then I thought about all the ways in which I am truly fortunate and I was able to, once again, feel gratitude.  I am excited about my training and look forward to a time when I can share my good fortune with others. Namaste, my friends.

No comments: