Friday, August 2, 2013

Two shall become one :)

Before I went to Kripalu, I primarily took vinyasa flow classes. At Kripalu, our main practice was hatha yoga.  Pretty significant difference.  I love my vinyasa flow classes. Most of them are hot and vigorous and I always end the class feeling as though I'd gotten an amazing workout. But I also realize the vigorous vinyasa classes generally attract students looking for a very specific practice.

What I love about Kripalu yoga is how it integrates all the different types of yoga: Bhakti (devotion), Karma (action/sequence), Jnana (knowledge) and Hatha (physical health) into one practice. Getting that full yoga experience is what truly draws me to the mat.  Kripalu focuses a great deal on centering, meditation, self-inquiry and compassion (on and off the mat).

While I still love my vigorous vinyasa, I now have a much deeper appreciation of the history, philosophy, and ethics of yoga.  My initial intention is to construct a Kripalu yoga class for beginners, infused with bits and pieces of yogic philosophy.  At the same time, I would like my asana sequence to have a nice flow...sort of a slow-mo vinyasa flow. So that is my challenge/goal for today.  Happy Friday!

No comments: