Saturday, August 3, 2013

Noticing the Scenery

I once worked for a very wealthy lady who told me that money doesn't make one happy but it does make life easier.  While I knew the "Money doesn't buy happiness" bit to be true, I only suspected the latter to be true.  Affluent people rarely seem willing to admit to the easy life, or perhaps they may be unable to discern the difference between happiness and ease?  In any case, it was refreshing to hear her ready, no-nonsense confirmation.

This morning, in an attempt to figure out how I'm going to pay my bills for the month, I dedicated some time to my non-income issue.  (For the record, I will begin teaching in the fall, I just have to make it through August.) One of the biggest challenges is not allowing myself to get distracted by other issues that are somewhat related but not truly relevant. In order to avoid those distractions (which hardly ever end up being productive and oftentimes leave me feeling irritated and somewhat resentful), I have to stop what I am doing and move on to another activity.  That is what I have decided to do today.  

The other activity I was planning was not writing this blog; it was my yoga practice. As I pushed papers aside, closed my calender and began to shift my mental focus, I was struck by the act of switching gears.  In order to move out of my muddled head space onto the openness of my mat, I was going to have to switch gears. Perhaps more than once. Thus my intention was to write about the metaphor of switching gears.  However, in the process, it seems that my intention was not, in fact, what I really wanted to write about. And so I allow myself, via the wonderful vehicle of writing, to simply notice the scenery as I journey from an uneasy mind to a state of mindful ease.  Namaste :)

2 comments:

Angie Romines said...

Great post. It reminded me of this article: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2019628,00.html

It says that people continue to report higher happiness levels as their income increases but only up to the $75,000 mark. If a person's salary increases beyond that, he/she will not be any happier (according to the study).

Angel Surdin said...

Thanks, Angie! I will check out the article...although, it's easy to imagine a near-bliss state at the $74,999 mark. :)