Friday, August 16, 2013

Eat, Drink, and Be Merry!

This fall term, which for me officially begins on August 26th, I will be teaching three sections of composition at the community college, taking three courses in my nutrition program, working an internship, and (I hope) teaching some yoga classes.  Of course there are other tasks on my agenda (i.e. eat, sleep, be merry) but the work- and school-related tasks will undoubtedly top the list.  That said, I've spent the past few weeks easing my way back into work mode: exchanging emails, writing syllabi, and beginning work on my internship.

My internship is with the the New York State Public Health Association or NYSPHA for short.  In October, NYSPHA will be holding a workshop, "Creating Effective Partnerships to End Childhood Obesity," in Albany. The keynote presenter, Victoria W. Rogers, MD, is the director of the Let's Go! program.  From the program's website: 
Let’s Go! is helping kids and families eat healthy and be active. We understand it’s important to have a consistent message about healthy habits where you live, learn, work and play. So we partner with teachers, doctors, child care providers, and community organizations to help share the same four healthy habits of “5 2 1 0” everyday:
5 – fruits and veggies
2 – hours or less of recreational screen time*
1 – hour or more of physical activity
0 – sugary drinks, more water and low-fat milk
* Keep TV/computer out of bedroom. No screen time under the age of 2
I think this is a fantastic idea and I am so excited to have the opportunity to participate in the NYSPHA workshop.Our children are our future but what we do for them now, what we do for ourselves now, fuels that future. 

As you begin to map out your own agenda for fall, remember to incorporate some nutritious eats, healthy drinks, and active merry-making! Namaste :)

4 comments:

Angie Romines said...

After reading this post, it looks like you'll be just as busy if not busier than me this semester. Sounds like your internship will be a good one. If I could get Paul to do the 5-2-1-0 plan just one day, that'd be a miracle. Actually, if I could get myself to do it one day, it would also be miraculous.

Angel Surdin said...

The 5-2-1-0 plan is great. And easy enough to remember, right? But I'm with you, implementation is a little more challenging. But hey, still easy enough to remember! :)

Melanie said...

That sounds like a really fulfilling opportunity! I've been wishing I had a Tv in my bedroom lately though.

Angel Surdin said...

Our hotel suite is divided into two full rooms, the bedroom/bath being completely separate. So we have two televisions in our space this weekend. The 1:1 ratio seems frivolous but I guess that's no different from each of us having a laptop at home...although I doubt we'll spend much time in the hotel. Oh well, cheers to road trips!