Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day Eight

Today marks the first day of our second week of training. It feels a little strange to have the work weeks begin on a Sunday. Looking ahead, it seems like a long week but I know the days (and nights!)  will go by quickly.

We do not have a morning sadhana today so I have some time before our 9:00 a.m. program session. I have already showered and am simply waiting for the dining hall to open at seven so I can enjoy an early breakfast. I have a few lines to write in order to finish out my report so that should leave me some study time before our morning session.

Oh, since I have time this morning, I'd like to share some from our philosophy lecture last week. The second character-building restraint under the Yamas (the first of Patanhali's Eight Limbs) is Satya which is the Sanskrit word for truth. And one guideline of this restraint is:
Before you speak, ask yourself three questions: Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary?

Isn't that wonderful? Imagine a world wherein the people were so conscientious of themselves. Wouldn't that be lovely? Another interpretation by Swami Kripalu (hence, Kripalu) is before you speak, ask yourself if it will be an improvement upon silence. Really great words to live by.

With that, I shall close this post and go enjoy my silent breakfast. Have an extraordinary day, my friends! Namaste :)

4 comments:

M. Mulholland said...

Good advice about the questions! Love that!

Angel Surdin said...

I know...I love that as well. I find myself incredibly intrigued by Eastern philosophy. It compels me to dive more deeply into the texts...you know, because I have so much extra time to do so. :)

M. Mulholland said...

Speaking of diving (and Emerson and Thoreau), can you swim in the lake?

Angel Surdin said...

Yes, but I have heard mixed reviews. It's beautiful though. (Well, and then there's the that swim suit part...)