Friday, July 26, 2013

Day Twenty-Seven

I write this post from the comfort of home during what seems to be a late, late evening hour.  Today was the final day of our teacher training program.  However, even as I write that opening sentence, I somehow already miss the routine of training; I had, likewise, grown quite fond of the morning sadhana practice with all the other students in the big room that had become our home.

Yesterday morning we had a special sadhana with live music, which was such a treat.  I have to say, one thing that I love so much about yoga is the role music plays in setting the atmosphere for practice. Spending a month of immersion training allowed me to not only experience many different instructors, but also many different styles of music.  The gentleman who came in yesterday simply played a drum and a string instrument...it was so lovely.  

Our morning program consisted of a lecture and discussion on ethics and our afternoon program was a very moving exercise in expressing silent gratitude.  Last night was an amazing evening of celebrating.  A small group of students organized the celebration and it was truly an impressive display of original songwriting (in two days!), voice, dance, and wit.  

This morning we had another special sadhana: it opened with a puja ceremony which included candlight, rose petals, water, and prayer.  All of these elements, of course, symbolic and meaningful.  After breakfast, we had our graduation ceremony which was -- as good things often are -- bittersweet.  

I'd like to share this quotation with you that my dear friend Peg shared with me:
Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
~Anais Nin
How fortunate can one soul be to have so many worlds born unto them in such a short period of time?  I imagine I will be counting my blessings until the end of days.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

What a wonderful experience! I'm so glad you did this! I'm very happy for you!

Angel Surdin said...

Thanks, Melanie! I, too, am glad that I did it...it was really a great experience. Perhaps someday you'll be able to do it...you'd love it! :D

DiTa said...

I think you should start by giving private yoga lessons, go to the person's home since you don't have a studio.
Congratulations on doing & finishing a dream.

Angel Surdin said...

Thank you, Peg! Thank you, thank you. <3

Angel Surdin said...

Yes, Patricia! That is exactly what I had written in my application (and more, of course)...thank you, thank you! :)