Friday, July 12, 2013

Day Thirteen

It is chilly enough this morning for me to wear both a tank top and a tee-shirt. If I were to spend any amount of time (above the 20-minutes I have before I need to be at sadhana, that is) sitting near this open window, I would also choose to wear a jacket. As cool as the morning air is, however, it is a refreshing change from the hot, humid days we had earlier in the week.

I was also thinking, as I sit here typing this post in the most elementary fashion (using a single index finger!), that once I leave here, I shall miss this lovely view. I wish everyone could so appreciate the gift and grandeur of nature.

In our morning session yesterday, we learned about reflective listening. Reflective listening is essentially listening to what another person has to say and then repeating it back to them, rather than interpreting it. This is very similar to an exercise I had my students at Ohio State do, so the morning session felt a lot like review. Earlier last week, we learned about co-listening wherein the listener *only* listens and does not respond in any way. The purpose of this is simply to give the talker a chance to talk his or her feelings out. Each of these techniques were followed by an exercise; I have say I found the non-responding much more difficult. Nonetheless, both are good practices.

We spent the afternoon learning about the muscles, more A&P. The instructor is a very talented teacher and, despite just finishing two semesters of A&P, I felt I needed the review.

It is now time for morning sadhana. Happy Friday, my friends! Namaste:)

3 comments:

M. Mulholland said...

Isn't it funny how much of our life experience sneaks into our teaching?

Angel Surdin said...

Yes...dare I say we practice what we teach? :)

M. Mulholland said...

Good one.