Friday, July 5, 2013

Day Six

Well, it seems as though my network is up this morning, whereas last night I was unable to call, text, or access the Internet with my phone. So this makes me happy.

It is nearly six a.m. and I have some reading to do before my morning sadhana. Yesterday was good but seemed very hot. I walked to the lake at lunch and it was quite beautiful.

We had the evening off and there were fireworks all around. Some girls invited me to Tanglewood with them to see James Taylor and Jackson Browne (and fireworks) but I was happy to stay in and relax. Though it was a temping invitation.

I got to know a few more of my classmates last night. There are two really young girls here. One will be going to Yale in the fall and the other to Georgetown. I also talked with another girl who mentioned being "uncomfortable in her skin." It's amazing the range of emotions that come up for me when I talk with others. I felt so much excitement for the young college freshman-to-be and anxiety for the other girl who is so lovely but seems to lack self-confidence. I know what it feels like to be uncomfortable with my body and sometimes it can take a long time to remedy.

Otherwise, today is the final day of our first week and I have decided to travel the short distance home tonight. We have tomorrow off so it will be nice to check in with Aaron and my two little baby dogs. Happy Friday, my friends!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see that problem with comfort in one's skin with my girls, even though they are very young. Some things never change, which is good (yoga), but some things really need to change (self acceptance).

Angel Surdin said...

Self-acceptance seems to be more difficult for girls than for boys. Of course, I am speaking from my own experiences and observations (and studies) so this may not actually be the case. Nonetheless, what we are learning here is how very critical it is for young people to have strong support systems. It is my belief that if a child is raised in a loving, caring, and accepting environment, then that child will have a nice, strong base for such a support system. I imagine as a parent who has not only made the observations you have made but are aware and mindful of them, your girls are in wonderful hands. Namaste :)

M. Mulholland said...

Thanks, Angel. Hope you had a good visit home. Is there wildlife at the lake?

Angel Surdin said...

Ah the lake...once more. I have not spent a lot of time there as the first time I went, I felt I was being eaten alive by mosquitoes. The second time I went with my friend Nicole and didn't notice any wildlife...but I have noticed lots of bunnies and various other forest animals around the grounds. One of my classmates warned me (during my lunch-break walk) that she spotted a bear cub in the outdoor meditation area. That was kind of scary...baby = mama nearby!

M. Mulholland said...

Wow!